32 Unusual yoga quotes that jolt me back to center

I like quotes and noticed that lots of them have been overused, so I went on a search for the ones that really do it for me, the ones that give me energy, and I confess, #19 is my favorite by far!
Asana

1.       Body is not stiff, mind is stiff.   Sri K. Pattabhi Jois
2.       You go too fast, don’t do that. Eddie Stern
3.       No coffee no prana. Sharath Rangaswamy
4.       Yoga is learning to never say I can’t. I say that
5.       Anybody can breathe. Therefore anybody can practice yoga. T.K.V. Desikachar
6.       Before you’ve practiced, the theory is useless. After you’ve practiced, the theory is obvious. David Williams
7.       Turn on the lights of the pose. Richard Freeman

Life as a yogi

8.       Laughter drives shouting away. Indra Devi
9.       Let your speech be true and sweet. Shri T. Krishnamacharya
10.   Never be in debt. Never reside near enemies. Never trap your body through disease. Never forget the Lord with his consort who resides in the heart. Shri T. Krishnamacharya
11.   Bien predica quien bien vive. Don Quijote de la Mancha (Preaches well who lives well)

Meditation

12.   Meditation results in marvels. Shri T. Krishnamacharya
13.   Don’t just do something, sit there! Unknown
Relationships

14.   If you want to attract the coolest man in the world become the coolest woman in the world.  Marianne Williamson
Age

15.   Yoga is the fountain of youth. You’re only as young as your spine is flexible. Bob Harper
16.   As women gather in years aim toward living in ways that are sure to horrify the few and inspire the many – Clarisa Pinkola Estes
17.   Age considers; youth ventures. Rabindranath Tagore
Love

18.   If your compassion does not include yourself, it is incomplete. Jack Kornfield
19.   Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? Marianne Williamson
Strength

20.   No army can withstand the strength of an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo
21.   My life is my message. Gandhi
22.   Silence is not silent. Silence speaks. It speaks most eloquently. Silence is not still. Silence leads. It leads most perfectly. Sri Chinmoy
23.   When one experiences truth, the madness of finding fault with others disappears. S.N.Goenka
24.   All that we are is the result of what we have thought. Buddha
25.   You’ve got to work with your mistakes until they look intended. Raymon Carver
Respecting our Gunas  (innate psychological tendencies)
26.   Chancho limpio nunca engorda, (clean pig never gets fat) Spanish proverb unknown author
Adventure
27.   Speak a new language so that the world will be a new world. Rumi
28.   Si de algo soy rico es de perplejidades y no de certezas. Jose Luis Borges
29.   A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool. William Shakespeare
Wealth

30.   The first wealth is health. Ralph Waldo Emerson
31.   To one established in non-stealing all wealth comes. Patanjali
Results

32.   Mastery of yoga is really measured by how it influences our day-to-day living, how it enhances our relationships, how it promotes clarity and peace of mind. T.K.V. Desikachar

What quotes would you add?
Have you made up any of your own?

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

25 Responses to 32 Unusual yoga quotes that jolt me back to center

1. lilasvb December 19, 2010 at 9:42 am #

i have one<br />keep smiling : it is only yoga from david swenson

2. Claudia December 19, 2010 at 10:26 am #

Hi Lilasvb, I like it! that is 33!

3. Tova December 19, 2010 at 11:54 am #

Claudia, this is wonderful, thank you for posting these!<br /><br />one of my favorites:<br />We don&#39;t see things as they are, we see things as we are.<br />-Anais Nin

4. Nobel December 19, 2010 at 12:14 pm #

Nice list, Claudia!<br /><br />Here&#39;s one from Nicki Doane: <br /><br />&quot;Smiling is optional but highly recommended.&quot; (She usually says this in the middle of led class, in the middle of some challenging posture.)

5. Claudia December 19, 2010 at 12:38 pm #

@Tova, I like that one, so short and yet so revealing! 🙂 we have a 34!<br /><br />@Nobel, thank you, and I can appreciate that from a teacher in the mids of a led class… I like it!… #35! the list keeps going, I am enjoying it

6. Evgeniy December 19, 2010 at 12:49 pm #

Hi Claudia can you clarify this one for me? My English fails me.<br /><br />Laughter drives shouting away. Indra Devi<br /><br />What does that mean in more common words?

7. Claudia December 19, 2010 at 1:48 pm #

Hi Evgeniy… I also looked at it twice… also not an English native speaker here!… she means that when you laugh whoever is angry/shouting around you will leave… have not tried it but it might work

8. fivefootwo.com December 20, 2010 at 2:07 pm #

Perfect list for 2011. Chancho limpio no engorda? I will definitely remember that one!

9. Claudia December 21, 2010 at 7:56 pm #

HA HA, you make me laugh fivefoottwo, it&#39;s a good one isn&#39;t it?

10. Krishna December 22, 2010 at 3:07 am #

The following quotes are my own .<br />—————————————<br />Never take the future for granted however strong your current situation is .<br /><br />As long as you keep doing anything with the object of seeking love , approval or appreciation for that from others be prepared for disappointments .

11. Claudia December 22, 2010 at 8:46 am #

Krishna, I loved these two, so true about not taking the future for granted, really good! both of them<br /><br />So, we have a 36 and 37, and this is great cause these two are fresh new and from a yogi of our times!, love it

12. Krishna December 22, 2010 at 12:00 pm #

Thanks Claudia . <br />The first comment regarding future was based on my observation in sports ( especially Cricket ) where today&#39;s champions become tomorrow&#39;s failures and vice versa .<br />The second comment was based on my reading and listening to Byron Katie&#39;s books and CDs .

13. Brittany December 22, 2010 at 9:39 pm #

Love this!!! No coffe, no prana – my fav!

14. Claudia December 23, 2010 at 6:40 am #

Hi Brittany, me too, it keeps it so real!

15. Claudia December 23, 2010 at 6:52 am #

@Krishna, that is interesting about cricket players, I suppose it probably applies to other sports too, I do not know much about cricket, wonder if it applies to them specifically…

16. Danielle January 28, 2011 at 8:56 pm #

Hi Claudia, I read this a while back and bookmarked it, and come back to time from time to time because it&#39;s a powerful list of quotes you have here. They are all really inspiring, but my ultimate favorite has got to be #19. So so true!<br /><br />Hope you are enjoying Mysore, have been enjoying the posts from you and James!

17. Claudia January 29, 2011 at 10:42 pm #

Yes Danielle, I agree, Marianne must have had a very strong connection with spirit when she wrote that, it is powerfule indeed 🙂

18. Jacqui Mckeown June 9, 2011 at 1:40 pm #

&quot;How long have I been asleep? 37 years&quot;<br /><br />By the artist David Shrigley aged 37. Not so much a quote but an illustration with words. I wanted to blog about it but cant find the image.<br />Anyway thought it was very yogic, very profound and very funny (what more can you ask for?)<br /><br />ps No 19 is a cracker, have used it often and I believe It&#39;s sometimes quoted as

19. Claudia June 9, 2011 at 1:52 pm #

Jacqui, I love that one too!, it is very graphic… as per 19, yes it was used by Nelson Mandela but it actually belongs to Marianne, it is in her first book, &quot;a Return to Love&quot; which became a huge success…

20. Anonymous December 29, 2011 at 9:02 pm #

&quot;listen to the voice within you that knows the truth &amp; inspire people with your highest ideals&quot; By artist Audrey Flack

21. Claudia December 30, 2011 at 8:59 am #

🙂 Nice one Anon

22. AnjaliMudra August 21, 2012 at 12:36 pm #

Oh, what amazing post!<br />One of my favourites are<br /> &quot;Good yogi, no worries&quot; Iyengar<br />&quot;Call me Manju, don&#39;t call me guru, because this make me feel so old!&quot; &quot;Yoga is less talk and more rock!&quot; &quot;Keep it simple&quot; – Manju Jois<br /><br /><br />Just a note. I think that the quotes &quot;no coffee, no prana&quot; and &quot;no chapati, no strenght&

23. ClaudiaYoga August 22, 2012 at 11:08 am #

Really like those from Manju, don&#39;t know many by him… actually did not know any… love the don&#39;t call me guru cause it makes me old… what a great sense of humor

24. Claudia April 6, 2014 at 7:47 am #

This can also be interpreted as when you laugh, it is impossible to shout in anger.<br /><br />Namaste

25. Claudia December 30, 2014 at 2:19 am #

Nice Quotes.Loved these quotes. thank you for posting such a wonderful quotes about yoga.