Savasana (corpse pose) – Level 2

There was no Sharath or Saraswati in the shala today, only assistants, and lots of them.  There were the senior teachers and then about 6 or 7, then 8 others.

Hearing the “one more” signaling that a space opened and one more student can come in from a voice different from the usual relaxed something in me, and yet it made me try harder as somehow maybe I wanted to show off for the new teachers.  Monkey mind. At any rate, it worked for good, my count went slower, I sweated even more, I went deeper, and by the time savasana hit, I just melted.

The upstairs room in the women’s changing room was sweaty, steamy and full, as usual. I was able to open a window, just a crack and get a little fresh air coming in, together with the loud and persistant sounds of Gokulam’s 9 AM, on a Monday.

Laying down, and after the initial shock of the post-practice wore off, this is what I heard:

…Om Bur Bhuva Swaha… I must add more links to the posts on Gokulam… Tat Savitur … wonder if I can really commit to a one hour meditation in the morning and one in the afternoon… Bur Bhuva… Maybe I can get a chai while I wait for HB…Bur Bhuva

This is not just this savasana,  but pretty much any savasana, and I have began to live with it, to notice that it is what it is, and let it be.

I have however, added one more thing.  When the chatting becomes lively, and I feel ready to stand up and go about my day I now tell myself to go to: “level 2”.

Iyengar says we must relax for 5 minutes for every 30 of practice, which puts me at a 15 minute mark, at least.  Thinking: “Level 2”, does something for my westerner mind, seems to focus it back again into what needs to happen, I stay longer, I relax, and my nervous system is grateful.

, , , ,

9 Responses to Savasana (corpse pose) – Level 2

1. lilasvb January 31, 2011 at 7:45 am #

some days the monkey mind is hard to stop<br />this morning my practise was better!!! but i am into sadness for loosing my grandmother so i know it will be hard to foccus again

2. Claudia January 31, 2011 at 9:58 am #

I am sorry about your grandmother Lilasvb, I hope she is happy wherever she is! Sending you sweet healing vibes 🙂

3. StEvE February 1, 2011 at 4:45 am #

I&#39;m glad I read your post before practicing this morning. I&#39;d never heard that 5 min. theory before. I promptly upped my timer by 5 minutes to 15 and, interestingly, 2/3 of the way into taking rest it was like falling into a great big hole, with a soft landing, and being suspended in a state of bliss. Well, if that was &#39;level 2&#39;, then bring it on!<br /><br />p.s. How long are you

4. Claudia February 1, 2011 at 9:21 am #

Hi StEvE, glad it helped!, it certainly refocused my savasana timing as well… good to hear you reached level 2 🙂 I am here for a few more days then back home, are you here?

5. StEvE February 1, 2011 at 11:19 am #

I&#39;m booked in for March so planning to get in and register on Feb. 28th. Your reports have really helped to whet my appetite. Having only done home practice since last March, I really looking forward to it, especially now there are lots of certified &amp; authorised assistants.

6. Claudia February 1, 2011 at 10:18 pm #

StEvE, what a great idea!!! I keep thinking that the best time for anyone to come here is at the very beginning of practice (not sure if you mean that you just started in March, if I misunderstood forgive me), when there is no &quot;solid practice&quot; pre-established, and then keep coming, I find that it is easier on everything really. I guess I will not have the opportunity to meet you this

7. StEvE February 2, 2011 at 3:36 am #

Ha! Sorry Claudia, my phrasing was incredibly mis-leading. I meant that I haven&#39;t been to a shala, or worked with a teacher since last March. <br /><br />I do agree with you though. Wouldn&#39;t it be good to learn the basics for a year, and then go to Gokulam to put &#39;the icing on the cake&#39;.<br /><br />Enjoy the rest of your time there, and thanks again for sharing the experience.

8. Claudia February 2, 2011 at 6:43 am #

Thanks for the clarification StEve, I kind of thought there was something strange when I looked at your blog…

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Ep. 32 Tim Ryan - The Congressman Who Meditates - Altucher Confidential - August 24, 2015

[…] and a mindfulness program. “They weren’t laying in the field against the Broncos in savasana pose doing a body scan,” Tim says, “They were in the game. They were focussed and […]