Is Coming

Sharath says a month in Mysore, practicing Ashtanga with them is the equivalent to 5 elsewhere. For me it was more like 12.

I feel blessed to come back to the shala at Pure: Rolling out the mat without any wait time, reconnecting with my great teacher, having room all around me, being able to do Uttita Hasta (video) in the front of the mat not worrying about losing balance or hitting a neighbor.  Oh the wonders!  I am grateful.

The place where I notice the biggest difference is in the dristhi (eye focus points for each pose),  all that talk during conference made me very aware of the important role that keeping the eyes in check plays for concentration.

The fiery element associated with the eyes is obvious, they want to jump and look around, in my case even more than anyone else’s, or so I feel.

All the distractions around in Mysore (people practicing very advanced poses, Sharath and Saraswatti walking around, Sharath’s 3-year-old screaming “you finish!”) forced me to try harder.  And so, on my first practice here back home, even though glad to see everyone, once the practice started the focus took over,  I went inwards and sweat-ed Mysore style in a cold NYC February day.

Now that I feel a little over the hill on the “pain” part  of the primary series, and by that I only mean it does not hurt “as” much, something new and delicious is flourishing, yoga is doing me it seems.

Ayela came over to help me with prasarita D, where the hands touching down seemed a lot closer than I remember them being pre-India, and then she also helped me with a deeper than ever Marichasna A which I quite enjoyed.

It makes me so happy to appreciate the energetics of the pose, feel the breath, the bandhas (internal locks), keep the eyes softly on point yet relaxed, feel the connection of the tissues and the bones, feel yoga.

I did the intermediate part of the practice again for the first time since returning, and had no expectations as one would considering I had not touched it for over a month.

I took it on stride when Sharath said that the best way to progress in asana is to focus on perfecting the poses we have rather than greedily trying to gain new frontiers on new ones.  In a way I even felt a little guilty travelling through pasassana and carrying on with second series, but the breathing felt so inviting, the poses opened me, and the air went where no air had ever gone before.

Both at Dhanurassana and the dropbacks (deep forms of bending the back) I heard those two words that are so encouraging when they come from our teacher: “It’s coming“.

I am thinking of making a video where I do a dance saying “Do your practice –  all is coming” I sort of picture rotating the hips a lot and clapping my hands.  Not sure my PR person will allow me to videotape such dance, but I might try…

I don’t have a PR person, but when I tried making a video of my understanding of “nutation” a few months back (basically me thrusting my pelvis back and forth) HB suggested maybe it was not such a good idea.  I guess that makes him the “quality control” guy. So, no PR, just QC.

In any event, happy camper ashtangi here! and I just heard that the groundhog did not see his shadow this year so spring is in the air, or so I want to believe.

picture from here.

, , , , , , ,

11 Responses to Is Coming

1. Christina February 17, 2011 at 10:29 am #

Hey Claudia! <br />Welcome back!! I&#39;m still in NYC for one more week.. where do you practice here?

2. Claudia February 17, 2011 at 10:36 am #

Hi Christina, I am at Pure West, with John, it is lovely there! will be there likely Tuesday, let me know if you are still around! maybe we can do brunch, would love to

3. Nobel February 17, 2011 at 12:42 pm #

Hello Claudia, yes, I think Sharath was very wise in saying that one should focus on perfecting the poses one already &quot;has&quot; rather than greedily trying to &quot;gain&quot; new ones. When I go to Mysore, I will practice surrender, and stop where Sharath tells me to (like I have a choice, right?). <br /><br />I think your HB is just being your HB. Maybe I&#39;m cynical in this way, but I

4. sereneflavor.com February 17, 2011 at 1:00 pm #

Well just for today, whatever the groundhog did worked! Welcome back &amp; enjoy the weather.

5. Grimmly February 17, 2011 at 2:03 pm #

Nice UHP, Claudia looked very stable and grounded.

6. Claudia February 17, 2011 at 3:35 pm #

@Nobel, ha ha ha, as usual you have me cracking up, might have to do the video after that, but wait, I already have a dare on you, on some sort of Thai fruit, I better slow down the pace… besides, I think that dance would go better in your later post… As per Mysore, would that not be funny? to be able to tell Sharath: &quot;Nah, I think I&#39;m gonna do third today, I feel like it&quot;… ha

7. Boodiba February 18, 2011 at 1:37 pm #

I&#39;ve always felt the Astanga to be MUCH better in NYC than India. The only exception to that personal rule in my own history was my time with Rolf. Talk about turbo! <br /><br />And when the gate was locked at 5am, the first shifters would have to scale the wall. It was like a test of worthiness for first shift 🙂 No one wanted to be the one waiting outside when Rolf arrived, and everyone

8. Claudia February 18, 2011 at 4:59 pm #

That is interesting B, I did not know Rolf also had waiting lists… you live and learn.<br /><br />The shala in Mysore has changed, they have assistants now and there is a lot more focus on each person and help, I guess everyone has their own experiences and I respect that, but for me this one was powerful… <br /><br />Funny about people wanting their own spot, that is how I felt too… the

9. Boodiba February 18, 2011 at 6:55 pm #

Oh there&#39;s no waiting for first shift, but all others have to wait on the stairs for a spot. They don&#39;t get to get attached to a particular location! I was just lucky Rolf liked my introductory primary so much, cause he put me in the first group immediately after, 2nd day.<br /><br />It&#39;s good they have assistants now! They need &#39;em. When I went my first month it ended up being $

10. Claudia February 20, 2011 at 7:57 am #

yes, I heard about those times, but things are changing and it is a lot better now, I feel that Sharath and Saraswatti are bringing the shala to the 21st century with online registration, assistants, a new house for them being constructed so that the whole house where the shala is will be a yoga school etc… I feel it is all good and &quot;coming&quot; 🙂

11. Boodiba February 20, 2011 at 9:28 am #